Tuesday 17 May 2011

 Wow, how much more rain can we get before winter officially starts, mother nature....hhmmmm? With all this water coming onto my garden I wasn't sure what the best way was to keep my garden happy (I did assume that no water was necessary, please don't think me dumb...) so after hearing about a new watersaving website created by Melbourne Uni I clicked myself over there and started to look around.

I like the idea of a watersaving website with tips and information on our climate.....and here it is! When originally signing up you create your garden in "plant areas", slightly confused at this to start with I simply did it as my front yard and backyard (which kind of made sence and I think has been the right thing to do!). From there you actually add the plants that you have in those plant areas. My garden consists of edible plants from herbs to vegies, as well as small shrubs, succulents, ferns and grasses, all of which are available for adding in your vitual garden.



Next comes watering options. I use a watering can which is considered the hose....to calculate the amount of water you need you have to estimate how much water goes into a 9litre bucket and how long it takes to get an idea of water pressure. Once this is all done and mulching has been chosen you are ready to see what your garden requires, waterwise, to be happy and healthy. As mine is a small area it told me that January needs the most (makes sense due to hot weather), however it did tell me to only water every 2 weeks, which I simply don't agree with as I believe my garden needs much more water than that, especially the ferns. However, so far April and May have been correct as the watersaving website advices me not to water at all....woo hoo!

With the hotter months being really the only thing I disagree with so far with the SmartGardenWatering.org.au website I have to say I have found it quite interesting and so far quite helpful. As I play around with it further and check out other peoples gardens I'm sure I will get a better grasp of this wonderful concept, as well as an even better understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Dude! your site rocks!
    You've got cool wall paper, books down the side, blog recommendations down the other side, a cool photo banner at the top! how did you do it? Is it easy and Im just rubbish at this sort of thing or do you have insider knowledge?
    My background is just a green tuft of grass that I think 50% of the class is going to use. aaargh.

    ReplyDelete