Wednesday 25 May 2011

I live with a succulent lover (this is not a euphemism), I'm not kidding you, and I'm told he use to have more than what we have now but he sold them at a garage sale once and made over $300 dollars! What is it about these succulent things that have people going banana's?? Well, I asked him (hhhmmmm) and the answer I got was....I like them. Yup, thanks for that, really helpful for my uni work and possible passing grades. So, with little help from the source I had to try another approach....I pretended to be a succulent lover.


What I worked out: 

1. Succulents are easy to grow. These little buggers are super hard to kill so the laziest gardener can keep them alive. 
2. They come in all shapes and sizes, colours and textures. They are such an eclectic little bunch!
3.They make a good present. It seems that people appreciate a succulent as a present (I think this is again the hardiness factor as when someone gives you a plant you are obliged to keep it alive so when they come over they feel good about their present).
4. Some have medicinal benefits. Aloe vera for example. Everyone needs an aloe plant for those pesky sunburns! 
5. They kind of are just great and I'm starting to see the "I like them" answer as being quite a legitimate one. These little suckers are quite remarkable plants.....and I think the more you love them the more they love you (hhhmmmm, weird succulent lover anyone?!)




Final verdict......Convert!

  

3 comments:

  1. Great article about succulents Katherine. I especially like the big thumbs up convert at the end. Another interesting factoid about succulents and cacti in particular is they can contain hallucinogens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and tequila is made from the blue agave. Loving the fluffy head thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum calls the "baby" side-plants of Agaves,"pups"...

    ReplyDelete