Wednesday 1 June 2011

As you all know by now I live in Brunswick, the council of which being Moreland....and in April they became a supporter of the adopt-a-tree scheme. This fantastic idea gives residence the chance to submit a certain public space they wish to see prospering with lovely plants and if approved are provided with mulch and plants to go about their business. The plot then becomes said persons responsibility and is followed up with checks every so often to make sure it is being looked after and that you haven't just taken the plants and upgraded your own garden!! This idea is a step in the right direction for councils wanting to make an environmental difference in the community. Not only that it gives people who don't have the facilities or property to garden make a public place their own to care for.

As usual I found out about this in the Moreland Leader (if you know me then you understand how much I love a community newspaper....especially the Leaders!!) and if you wish to find out more click HERE to see the article that I originally read...I'm yet to take up this offer (this is due to the fact I have little time to do anything right now other than work, uni and sleep...) but once I have the time I'm in! There is a little park near us that really needs some gardening makeover....take a look at this visual pleasure (hhhmmmm...)


I think you get the idea (thanks Google maps again!) I was thinking the other day of plants that I might like to put in. Seeing as though it is a place where families go to play on the swings I wouldn't want anything poisonous, plus, you need hardy when kids are involved. Grasses are always my first love... something stunning like Pennisetum setaceum 'rubrum', or even just a little old favourite Miscanthus sinensis 'zebrinus' ( I do love my grasses!). And if I was going to add some colour ( I hear you yell you've got it in the Pennisetum....I know, but some people want flowers), again, I'd go something simple and easy to maintain such as Plumbago auriculata....but this is all very parky if you ask me. Really, if it was my dream little spot it would look a lot different, but hey, if your going to plant for the public you've got to think convenient....you understand.

Anyway, I'm thinking that if a council is happy to get behind something like this then it's heading in some sort of right direction. So, people, we know what we need to do and that's get our emails on and start getting boring spaces approved so that delightful Oprah style makeover......ing (not a word but hey!) can happen! 

(This post is dedicated to all those who think Oprah is going to make a John Farnham come back any day now...spot on ladies and lads!). XXxx

No comments:

Post a Comment